Are you tired of forcing yourself to drink litres and litres of water a day just to stay hydrated and healthy? Well, what if I tell you that coconut is a natural water filter superfood that is filled with the most electrolytes than any other source found in nature. This means that one young coconut’s water is equal to 250 ml of water and the best hydrator Mother Nature has ever provided. I used to fill up several bottles of water every day, but on a good day, I would only finish one. Then on a vacation in Thailand, I discovered that I felt energised all day while sipping on young coconut water. So I started to research the benefits of young coconut water and how it can hydrate the human body. Then, I made coconut water part of my daily life! This miracle drink from young coconuts can even cure your hangover! Instead of drinking one glass of water with every glass of wine, instead drink coconut water. You will wake up hangover free and refreshed. But, there’s more! What if I tell you that coconuts are all you need to survive? Coconuts provide such a high nutritious value of juice, milk, oil and meat that it has fed and nourished thousands of populations around the world. This highly nutritious superfood is to this day a staple food for many islands populations. Try out my top coconut recipes for you to enjoy every day at any time! They are tasty, healthy and guilt-free, but first, let me to take you into a journey of discovery and demonstrate the benefits of this paradise superfood.
Coconut water and coconut oil each have their own distinct benefits:
Benefits of Young Coconut Water:
- Excellent for re-hydration.
- It has cooling effects on your body.
- Helps to soothe and prevent skin eruptions and rashes, when applied to the skin.
- Outstanding nutrition source for infants (but never the only source of nutrition).
- Improves muscle and physical growth in children.
- Prevents and eases cholera through the presence of organic sodium and albumin in the coconut water.
- Eliminates the pain of kidney stones through fighting Nano-bacteria and growth of bad calcium in your kidneys.
- Can be used as blood plasma substitute because it’s sterile and accepted by the body.
Benefits of Coconut Oil:
- Improves you digestive system and absorbs amino acids and fat soluble vitamins.
- Protects your immune system through fighting off viruses, bacteria and fungal overgrowth.
- Improves blood sugar levels and decreases symptoms of hypoglycemia.
- Helps your body to absorb magnesium, calcium and more.
- Consists of 90% and more raw saturated fat, which is an important building block of every cell in your body.
- Contains the most lauric acid of any plant source.
- Helps to balance and support healthy hormone function.
- Improves thyroid function, which helps your body to shake off the excess weight and toxins.
- Increase your metabolism, which helps you to lose weight and feel more energized.
- Supports your cardiovascular system and contains no cholesterol.
These benefits mentioned above are not the only benefits of coconuts — there is much more!
9 Health Benefits of the Entire Coconut for Your Body:
- Keeps Your Heart Healthy: This great superfood provides your body with medium-chained fatty acids (MCFA) that are very important for overall good health. This means that the MCFA that are in this powerful superfood have no negative effects on your cholesterol levels and decrease the chance of atherosclerosis, which causes the walls of your arteries to thicken and leads to a heart disease. This nutrition filled superfood will protect you from heart diseases and will help your heart to beat healthy!
- Improves Your Digestive System: Coconuts consists of 61 % dietary fibre, which already indicates the amazing benefits of consuming this great superfood. This will decrease constipation, stomach cramps, irritable bowel syndrome and increase fullness. This superfood fiber is also non-digestible, which means that no calories are taken from it. This means that the roughness of the coconut flesh cleanses your colon and gets released (no need to worry that it will actually block your colon or lack benefit if it is not absorbed).
- Balance Your Blood Sugar Levels: Coconut has a low glycaemic index (GI), which means that it slows down the release of glucose in your blood and requires less insulin to balance your glucose levels and convert it into energy. This low GI superfood helps your body to relieve stress on your pancreas and enzyme structures in your body. This will prevent the world’s most common disease — diabetes. The low GI content also makes you feel fuller for longer — this slow release of energy keeps you going through the whole day. An added benefit is that the full feeling will prevent you from having sugar cravings during the day!
- Lowers Your Cholesterol: The rates of high cholesterol and heart disease increase every day. As people become aware of the causes of these diseases, they are moving to the most natural way of eating to overcome their illnesses. This palm-tree superfood is the best approach, because not only does it not contain any cholesterol, it actually helps to balance your cholesterol levels. It contains lots of satured fats that raise HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) and decrease the LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol).
- Improves Your Thyroid Function: Consuming this nutrition dense superfood will improve and restore you thyroid function and increase your metabolic rate. This will lead to weight-loss and prevent the symptoms of a dysfunctional thyroid. If you are already on any thyroid medication, first make an appointment with you physician if you undergo a program of the coconut healing elements. Thyroid medication plays a big role in the functioning of your metabolism. So be cautious and see your physician.
- Increase Anti-Aging Components: Although ageing is a natural process and cannot be stopped, you can slow down the speed of your ageing with coconut oil. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer, which contains essential emollients. This prevents your skin from dryness and reduces wrinkles as well as preventing it from an early age. This great superfood is filled with antioxidants which fight off free radicals that cause wrinkles and early ageing. Coconut oil also removes dead cells on the outer layer of the skin and helps to maintain your skin’s elasticity.
- Increase Sperm Count: The young flesh of cocnut is the best sexual-fluid builder than any other superfood. Normally it takes 35 days to process the food all the way from chewing it, into your blood stream, your bones and your lymphatic fluids until it reaches the final stage, which is your reproductive fluid. Now, what if I tell you that eating young coconut meat will take you there in one day? Yes! It’s true!
- Provides healthy Fertility: This superfood isn’t called the “Tree of Life” just for the fun it. Young coconut meat improves the quality of your breast milk to ensure that your child is healthy. Young meat of the coconut also turns into breast-milk immediately when you’re conceiving. Coconut products such as coconut oil, cream, water and much more can be used before, during and after pregnancy.
- Provides the Best Saturated Fats: From David Wolfe “The best saturated fats come from the inner soft white flesh of young coconuts (available in Asian markets in North America). Because coconut fat is more stable, I have found benefit in drinking the coconut water and leaving the husk at room temperature for 2 or 3 days before opening it up and spooning out the white flesh. Leaving the coconut out allows the associated fat enzyme, lipase, to begin breaking down the coconut fresh. After a few days of enzymatic breakdown, the coconut flesh generally contains more “energy” and is easier to digest.”
Coconut Products You Should Purchase:
Now that you know all the great benefits of this life-changing superfood, you need to know what types of products are available and which ones you should buy and look out for. So, let me explain to you:
- Brown Coconuts: Before selecting this brown hairy coconut, have a look at the three holes on the one side first, then make sure it’s not covered in mould. If it is, choose another one that’s clean and mould free.
- Young Coconut Water: Always use the cardboard container products rather than the aluminium containers, because the aluminium is very toxic and has been suspected to cause Alzheimer’s disease.
- Coconut Oil: Select coconut oil in an amber glass, because the plastic containers may extract into the coconut oil due to the solvent properties of the oil.
- Coconut Cream/Butter: Whether the product is made from stone-ground, coconut flakes or conched copra, it will still contain the coconut fibre. Coconut cream should be thick and have a cream cheese type of taste. It has much less calories than any other nut butter.
- Coconut Flakes: Should be shredded copra.
- Coconut powder: Should be organic.
How You Should Use Coconut Products:
So, now you have the product knowledge, as well as the knowledge of all the benefits of coconut. Now let me show you how to use these products mentioned above.
- How to Open a Coconut and Use it:
- You can use a butcher knife or machete to open any young coconut and chop it up.
- Keep your fingers away from the chopping blade otherwise you may injure yourself.
- To drink the young coconut water, chop only the top 1/4 of the coconut open.
- Now that the coconut is open, you can insert a straw and enjoy!
2. How to Get the White Flesh:
- After enjoying the fresh coconut water, cut the coconut in half.
- Use a spoon and scoop out the young, fresh meat.
3. The White Flesh Can Be:
- Added to coconut water and blended, which will change into coconut milk.
- Dried or dehydrated with different types of herbs and spices and prepared like a “jerky”.
4. Coconut Cream:
- Aldults can use 2-4 tablespoons of coconut cream daily.
- It can be taken just like it is or blended in your favourite tea, smoothie or elixir.
- It can also be mixed with other superfoods for a tasty snack.
- It can be used in raw chocolate and desserts of any kind.
5. Coconut Oil:
- Can be eaten just like it is, mixed in a delicious salad or added into any kind of smoothie.
- The daily dosage can be from 1-4 tablespoons daily.
- Can also be used on skin for healthy and nourished skin cells.
6. Coconut Water:
- Can be consumed just as it is.
- Blend with other superfoods such as spirulina or hempseed protein powder to ensure long-lasting energy.
- Blend in any kind of smoothie or shake you desire.
7. Coconut Fat:
- Heat mature, dried coconut flakes in hot water to extract the coconut oil and aroma.
- Refrigerate until the coconut fat has risen to the top.
- Separate this fat from the water.
- This coconut fat is usually used for cosmetics products.
8. Cooking With Coconut Oil:
- It’s the most stable oil to cook with at high temperatures.
- When cooking with coconut oil, no other oil should be used in the same dish.
- It’s completely satured fat, which means that it doesn’t form polymerized oils (dangerous trans-fatty acids).
- You can even use coconut oil as if it’s olive oil.
9. Coconut Use for Your Teeth:
- Apply 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to your child’s gums and teeth to kill the germs and balance the oral pH.
- Also apply 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to your teeth for protection after brushing of your teeth.
- It also helps to ensure healthy biofilms in your mouth.
How to Store Coconut Oil and Coconut Cream:
- Coconut oil: Should be stored in a sealed glass container in a dry storage cupboard at room temperature.
- Coconut Cream: Should be refrigerated, because it contains less antimicrobial. This will also ensure cooling effects as well as freshness.
This amazing superfood can almost be used for everything at any time! This is why they call it the fruit paradise! Now you can try my new tasty and fun coconut recipes, which you can enjoy with your friend and family!
This post is an item in this series about superfood.
To experience all the great benefits of a variety of super food and living a more energized and uplifting healthy life, you need to read further in this series about superfood:
9 Life Saving Health Benefits of Coconut: The Superfood of Paradise
Latest posts by Noah Laith (see all)
- Drink Your Food and Eat Your Drinks ( The Power of Digestion ) - June 25, 2014
- Bowel Disorders Part 2 – Colitis - June 19, 2014
- How Detoxing Can Reduce Bowel Gas - June 12, 2014