Did you know that the superfood properties of Maca are so powerful that it was once forbidden? The Incan warriors ate Maca before battles for improved energy and stamina. Maca is so effective that conquered warriors from enemy tribes were forbidden from eating Maca. Add maca to your diet today and eliminate future trips to the doctor. With this powerful superfood added to your daily intake (I add it to my breakfast), you can increase your levels of energy, endurance, oxygen, libido, physical strength and neurotransmitter production. This great miracle worker also supports your adrenals, the production of hormones and the thyroid. A variety of symptoms, including depression, may be experienced if any one of these systems is out of balance. Let me show you that it is worth getting healed naturally and not by pills. Often people believe that natural healing through superfood takes too long, but Maca proves them wrong!
Some Basic Health Factors You Should Know:
Maca is filled with minerals such as calcium, magnesium, sulphur, sodium, copper, zinc, iron, selenium, silicon, potassium and much more. Maca is a nutritional power-house! Maca is known to improve the following health conditions:
- Chronic Fatigue
- Lack of Libido
- Stomach Cancer
- Poor Memory
- Infertility and Sterility in Humans and Livestock
- Menstrual Disorders
- Menopause Symptoms
- Overactive and Underactive Thyroid
- Hormone Imbalance
If you suffer from any of these illnesses mentioned above, you can find peace in the knowledge that you can and will be healed. Imagine living 10,000 years ago. Before doctors and prescription drugs that tend to treat symptoms, people only lived and healed from nature itself. They were the healthiest people, generally living long and happy lives. You can still learn from them. It’s never too late to make healthy choices that increase your health and lifestyle.
- Healthy Oxygen Flow: Maca helps you to effectively deal with all kinds of stress. Adding Maca to the diet increases the oxygen levels in your blood. This benefit can for example, decrease the environmental stress of altitude sickness. When your oxygen levels are low in your blood, you tend to feel tired and have a lack of energy. Combined with cacao the effects of Maca on a healthy oxygen flow are particularly strong and can decrease the symptoms of altitude sickness in less than an hour.
- Increase Your Energy Levels: This wonderful superfood is an adaptogen, which means that it provides your body with more effective energy. If you already have enough energy, Maca will not overstimulate your energy flow, so you won’t suffer from insomnia or run around like an Energizer bunny the whole day! You will feel refreshed and healthy, benefiting from the other positive effects of Maca.
- Activates Endocrine: Maca activates your endocrine glands, which not only increases your energy levels as mentioned above, but also you libido and vitality. Your endocrine system’s function is to make sure that your immune system functions properly. If your endocrine system is out of balance, you will have loads of immune problems, such as: slow metabolism; tiredness; weight gain; and, susceptibility to chronic illnesses.
- Increase Your Libido Levels: Maca is known to increase libido levels mainly in men and doesn’t interfere with the sex hormone count. Maca works on the master gland in the brain, which is the hypothalamus. This master gland is the sex-hormone centre of the brain, which when stimulated secretes testosterone, progesterone and DHEA. So, when your sex-hormones get stimulated, your libido levels rise and your depression levels lowers. Maca also improves seminal volume, sperm motility and sperm count, which creates a great sexual desire.
- Increase Fertility: This powerful superfood is filled with nutrients, amino acids and fatty acids, which increase fertility. So, when you are conceiving, Maca is the best superfood to add to your diet. The best is that Maca is still very important after birth, because it contributes to more and healthier breast milk for your child’s vitality.
- Supports Your Thyroid: Over 200 million people worldwide suffer from either an under-active or over-active thyroid. Thyriod problems occur very slow and over the years. If your thyroid doesn’t work properly, you will experience the following symptoms: Constipation, fatigue, weight gain, muscle weakness, puffy face, dry skin and a lot of cravings. The regular use of Maca can decrease these symptoms, as well as completely eliminating any thyroid disease.
- Improve Prostate Health: For men that want to regain their prostate health and sexual drive, Maca can be mixed with DIM (Diindolymethane). DIM is found in vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts and kale that help to regulate your hormone levels and cell behaviour. DIM is the most effective phytonutrient to prevent and treat breast, colon, pancreas and prostate cancer. DIM in men promotes healthy cell production in the prostate gland and can also reduce the conversion of testosterone into estrogen. Maca will ensure a healthy prostate gland and cancer free.
- Bedtime Power: This great love potion superfood is mostly used by men to prolong their sexual desire and endurance. Maca contains alkaloids that cause your pituitary gland to produce more messenger hormones to your adrenal gland and testes. This will cause your body to be aware of the impact of increased energy and sexuality levels. It’s very important for you to explore your own dosage of this powerful superfood to enhance your performance. In today’s time and age, there are so many things that can be part of your lifestyle and that can damage your virility. These negative impacts on your virility can be caused by poor nutrition, lack of exercise, anti-depressant supplements, abuse of thyroid medication, tranquilizers, cholesterol-lowering medication, recreational medication, steroids and all kinds of medications that damage your nervous system, blood flow and hormone supply. Mostly men think the solution to low testosterone levels is testosterone supplements that are available everywhere you go! These supplements place all men who use them at risk of atrophy of the testicles. To be certain that your virility levels are healthy as you age, the best bet is to follow a healthy diet and lifestyle, with exercise and drug avoidance. Please note that Maca cannot heal damage that has come from abusing pharmaceuticals. This means that you must consult a health practitioner that has a lot of knowledge and skills in the holistic medicine industry. He/She will guide you with a healthy eating plan, exercise program, techniques to relieve stress symptoms and to enhance lowering of your cholesterol levels and decrease moodiness. After this procedure, then only will Maca be effective.
What Maca Products Should You Look Out For?
Now that you know the basic and top benefits of maca and can’t wait to try it, you must make sure that you buy the correct product. You must only purchase organic brands of the maca root and not the other parts of the plant. There’s no original species of Maca, so be aware of false marketing. Below is a list of the Maca products that should be okay to purchase on the internet or your health store.
- Dried, powdered Maca root
- Red Maca
- Black Maca
- Yellow Maca
- Roasted Maca
- Dried, powdered Maca extract
- Liquid or alcohol-based Maca concentrates
- Maca raw chocolate bars, raw chocolate brittles and energy bars.
Where Can You Purchase Maca?
Most natural foods and health food stores carry Maca products. Some fitness and wellness stores also have a maca product line. As I have explained above, the most important factor is selecting a high quality organic product. If you cannot find something locally that you trust, you could try this Wild Organic Peruvian Maca Root Powder.
How to Use Maca:
Now you have the product. So let me explain to you how this great superfood should be used. Since Maca is a miracle superfood, it can be used in larger quantities that any other medicinal herbs. It can be used over a long period of time with no harmful side-effects. Maca use is beneficial in cold climates and weather, because it is a warming superfood. Generally, Maca is purchased dried, organic root powder or raw. You can use a tablespoon or more of this powder in your tea, coffee, nut milks and smoothies. Maca can also be added to your home-made desserts, salads, salad dressings, broths, soups and jams. This superfood is a great emulsifier that can be used to draw fats or oils together with sugars or starches.
How Much Maca You Should Use:
The Short Version:
A minimum of 10-20 grams a day of dried Maca root is required for you to experience the full benefits of this powerful superfood. If you desire to increase the amount, you may consider it, but it should be consumed with respect. This means that if you’re a beginner, don’t be too brave and add 10 scoops of Maca root powder to your beverage. This will knock you out. You can’t take more Maca than your body can handle. So, start with 10 grams a day and then increase as soon as you feel your body can handle it. Take a weekend off every month if you consume Maca consistently.
The Long Version:
People often get confused about how to take adaptogenic herbs (like Maca), or they mix adaptogenic herbs together like Ginseng and Maca.
Don’t do it!!! Never take two adaptogenic herbs at the same time. It can have negative effects on your body.
If you are taking any drugs, make sure you consult a health professional before taking maca. Because Peruvians have been using Maca roots for thousands of years, with no side effects, they have not seen the need to either prove or disprove Maca’s safety. In the absence of such studies, prudence requires that we not recommend Maca for the health problems listed at the end.
Start with a small amount, 1/4 tea spoon in the morning and the same at night, always taken with meals or just before eating.
You should not exceed three teaspoons a day and don’t take it all at once. Preferably the latest with lunch, as it can affect sleep.
If you have been on it a month, take a weekend off. If you have been taking it for 3 months or longer, take a full week off. The reason is to keep the body responsive to the phytonutrients of the Maca.
The Bedtime Power Version:
Mostly men found that taking a teaspoon of Maca with their dinner is all they need to power up the levels of their sexuality. When this procedure doesn’t work for you, one tablespoon should be taken with dinner occasionally.
Do not give to children below 3 years old: Children who are chronically ill or recovering may have one third of a teaspoon, three times per week.
Not Recomended: Maca is not recommended for females with breast cancer or ovarian or other hormone-related cancers. Nor is it recommended for men with prostate or testicular cancer or with enlarged prostates. Also, consult your doctor if you have blood pressure challenges, gall bladder or a liver disease.
The use of fertility drugs, ginseng, licorice root, black cohosh or dong quai with Maca is not recommended. Be sure to occasionally have a break from Maca, as per instructions above.
This post is an item in this series about superfood.
To experience all the great benefits of a variety of super food and living a more energized and uplifting healthy life, read further in this series about superfood:
Latest posts by Noah Laith (see all)
- Drink Your Food and Eat Your Drinks ( The Power of Digestion ) - June 25, 2014
- Bowel Disorders Part 2 – Colitis - June 19, 2014
- How Detoxing Can Reduce Bowel Gas - June 12, 2014